1. john, look at the time. _____you play the piano at such a late hour?
a. must b. can c. may d. need
2. i have lost one of my gloves. i _____ it somewhere.
a. must drop b. must have dropped c. must be dropping d. must have been dropped
3. he _____ have completed his work; otherwise, he wouldn't be enjoying himself by the seaside.
a. should b. must c. wouldn't d. can't
4. there _____ be any difficulty about passing the road test since you have practiced a lot in the driving school.
a. mustn't b. shan't c. shouldn't d. needn't
5. i _____ have been more than six years old when the accident happened.
a. shouldn't b. couldn't c. mustn't d. needn't
6. i was on the highway when this car went past followed by a police car. they _____ at least 150 kilometers an hour.
a. shoud have been doing b. must have been doing
c. could have done d. would have done
7. helen _____ go on the trip with us, but she isn’t quite sure yet.
a. shall b. must c. may d. can
8. -----catherine, i have cleand the room for you.
-----thanks. you _____ it. i could manage it myself.
a. needn't do b. needn't have done c. mustn't do d. shouldn't have done
9. -----i have someone else's green sweater by mistake.
-----it _____ harry's. he always wear green.
a. has to be b. will be c. mustn't be d. could be
10. -----do you know where david is? i couldn't find him anywhere.
-----well. he _____ have gone far. his coat is still there.
a. shouldn't b. mustn't c. can't d. wouldn't
11. -----lucy doesn't mind lending you her dictionary.
-----she _____. i've already borrowed one.
a. can't b. mustn't c. needn't d. shouldn't
12. -----the woman biologist stayed in africa studying wild animals for 13 years before she returned.
-----oh, dear! she _____ a lot of difficulties!
a. may go through b. might go through
c. ought to have gone through d. must have gone through
13.-----tom is never late for work. why is he absent today?
------something _____ to him.
a. must happen b. should have happened
c. could have happened d. must have happened
14. this cake is very sweet. you _____ a lot of sugar in it.
a. should put b. could have put c. might put d. must have put
15. he paid for a seat, when he _____ have entered free.
a. could b. would c. must d. need
16. the world wide web is sometimes jokingly called the world wide wait because it _____ be very slow.
a. should b. must c. will d. can
17. there is no light on. they _____ be at home.
a. can't b. mustn't c. needn't d. shouldn't
18. we hope that as many people as possible _____ join us for the picnic tomorrow.
a. need b. must c. should d. can
19. -----what's the name?
-----khulaifi. _____ i spell that for you?
a. shall b. would c. can d. might
20. black holes _____ not be seen directly, so determing the number of them is a tough task.
a. can b. should c. must d. need
21. we _____ have proved great adventures, but we have done the greatest march ever made in the past ten years.
a. needn't b. may not c. shouldn't d. mustn't
22. if it were not far for the fact that she _____ sing, i would invite her to the party.
a. couldn't b. shouldn't c. can't d. might not
23. -----must he come to sign this paper himself?
-----yes, he _____.
a. need b. must c. may d. will
24. some aspects of a pilot's job _____ be boring, and pilots often _____ work at inconvenient hours.
a. can; have to b. may; can c. have to; may d. ought to; must
25. -----i think i will give bob a ring.
-----you _____. you haven't been in touch with him for ages.
a. will b. may c. have to d. should
26. the weather turned out to be fine yesterday. i _____ the trouble to carry my umbrella with me.
a. should have taken b. could have taken
c. needn't have taken d. mustn't have taken
27. -----may i smoke here?
-----if you _____, chose a seat in the smoking section.
a. should b. could c. may d. must
28. as you work late yesterday, you _____ have come this moring.
a. mayn't b. can't c. mustn't d. needn't
29. -----is jack on duty today?
-----it _____ be him. it’s his turn tomorrow.
a. mustn't b. won't c. can't d. needn't
30. -----could i have a word with you?
-----oh dear, if you _____.
a. can b. must c. may d. should
31. -----how is your tour around the north lake? is it beautiful?
-----it _____ be, but it is now heavily polluted.
a. will b. would c. should d. must
32. in crowded places like airports and railway stations, you _____ take care of your luggage.
a. can b. may c. must d. will
33. when you've finished with that book, don't forget to put it back on the shelf, _____?
a. do you b. don't c. will you d. won't you
34. -----what do you think we can do for our aged parents?
-----you _____ do anything except to be with them and be yourself.
a. don't have to b. oughtn't to c. mustn't d. can't
35. -----she looks very happy. she ____ have passed the exam.
-----i guess so. it's not difficult at all.
a. should b. could c. must d. might
36. -----turn off the tv, jack._____ your homework now?
-----mum, just ten more minutes, please.
a. should you be doing b. shouldn't you be doing
c. couldn't you be doing d. will you be doing
37. -----my cat's really fat.
-----you _____ have given her so much food.
a. wouldn't b. couldn't c. shouldn't d. mustn't
38. the biggest problem for most plants, which _____ just get up and run away when threatened, is that animals like to eat them.
a. shan't b. can't c. needn't d. mustn't
39. the teacher _____ have thought johnson was worth it or she wouldn't have wasted time on him, i suppose.
a. should b. can c. would d. must
40. -----where is my dictionary? i remember i put it here yesterday.
-----you _____ it in the wrong place.
a. must put b. should have put c. might put d. might have put
41. -----what does the sign over there read?
-----“no person _____ smoke or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar or pipe in this area.”
a. will b. may c. shall d. must
42. i told your friend how to get to the hotel, but perhaps i _____ have driven her there.
a. could b. must c. might d. should
43. my mp4 player isn't in my bag. where _____ i have put it?
a. can b. must c. should d. would
44. john promised his doctor he _____ not smoke, and he has never smoked ever since.
a. might b. should c. could d. would
45. it is usually warm in my hometown in march, but it _____ be rather cold sometimes.
a. must b. can c. should d. would
46. you don't have to know the name of the author to find a book. you _____ find the book by the title.
a. must b. need c. can d. would
47. -----i'm sorry. i _____ at you the other day.
-----forget it. i was a bit out of control myself.
a. shouldn't shout b. shouldn't have shouted
c. mustn't shout d. mustn't have shouted
48. what a pity. considering his ability and experience, he _____ better.
a. need have done b. must have done
c. can have done d. might have done
49. peter _____ be really difficult at times even though he's a nice person in general.
a. shall b. should c. can d. must
50.we _____ last night, but we went to the concert instead.
a. must have studied b. might study
c. should have studied d. would study
51. liza _____ well not want to go on the trip. she hates traveling.
a. will b. can c. must d. may
52. -----what sort of house do you want to have? something big?
-----well, it _____ be big.that is not important.
a. mustn't b. needn't c. can't d. won't
53. according to the air traffic rules, you _____ switch off your mobile phone before boarding.
a. may b. can c. would d. should
54. although this _____ sound like a simple task, great care is needed.
a. must b. may c. shall d. should
55. she _____ have left school, for her bike is still here.
a. can't b. wouldn't c. shouldn't d. needn't